Iran's national football team has departed for a training camp in Turkey without the necessary US visas for players and coaching staff, as a diplomatic standoff threatens their participation in the upcoming World Cup. The Iranian foreign ministry has accused Washington of fabricating excuses to block entry, calling the situation a violation of international norms.
Spokesman Esmail Baghaei stated that Washington's refusal to issue visas to some team members was "not acceptable" and described it as a clear breach of obligations. He added that Iranian football officials had met senior FIFA executives in Turkey and received assurances that the governing body would do everything possible to uphold its principles.
Federation chief Mehdi Taj confirmed on Thursday that not a single visa had been granted for any squad or staff member. "We have not received any account from the other side regarding who has been granted visas. No visas have been issued yet," he told state-run IRNA news agency.
Limited Preparation and Uncertain Schedule
Iran is heading into the tournament severely underprepared. Most planned fixtures have been cancelled since the war began in February, and the Italian assistant coach unilaterally terminated his contract. The squad's last training match, held at Azadi Stadium in Tehran last week, was an internal scrimmage with players divided into two sides.
Football association official Mohammad Nabi said Iran would play two friendly matches on the trip: one against The Gambia in Antalya on 29 May and a second opponent yet to be confirmed. A match against a Turkish club side and a further fixture against Puerto Rico in Arizona's Tucson are also scheduled — but only if visas are issued.
Political Tensions and Missing Star
Head coach Amir Ghalenoei has named a 30-man preliminary squad, with the most notable absence being Sardar Azmoun — one of the country's best-known strikers and a veteran of two previous World Cups. Azmoun was dropped following his public support for protesters during the January unrest, his criticism of the government's internet shutdowns, and political statements he made during the war.
IRGC-affiliated Fars News Agency argued he should be excluded, and media figures close to the government said he would need to apologise before being considered for selection. He has refused. Fars News separately reported that his property has been seized on the orders of a provincial prosecutor.
The IRGC are designated a terrorist organisation in the US and Canada — the World Cup's two main co-hosts alongside Mexico. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said individuals linked to the IRGC would not be permitted to enter the country. Two weeks ago, Iranian football federation chairman Mehdi Taj was turned back at Toronto airport when he attempted to attend the FIFA Congress in Vancouver.
The squad's send-off ceremony in Tehran's Revolution Square last week was attended largely by government supporters. Chants of "Death to America" were audible throughout, and Hezbollah flags were visible in the crowd. Several national team players and staff have appeared at state and religious events in recent weeks to support government policies.
Iran is preparing for its fourth consecutive World Cup appearance, with all three group-stage matches scheduled to be played in the US. The visa issue remains unresolved, casting a shadow over the team's preparations and raising questions about their ability to compete on the world stage.


