Politics Business Culture Technology Environment Travel World
Home World Feature
Breaking · World

Colombia quake: Pereira rescuers face 'scene of horror' in rubble

Colombia quake: Pereira rescuers face 'scene of horror' in rubble
World · 2026
Photo · Mikael Nordstrom for European Pulse
By Mikael Nordstrom World & Security Aug 13, 2026 3 min read

The Colombian city of Pereira has become the focal point of a desperate rescue operation after a powerful earthquake devastated the region, leaving rescue workers to describe the aftermath as a “scene of horror.” Teams are working through the night, sifting through concrete and twisted metal in the hope of finding survivors beneath the rubble.

A city in shock

Pereira, a city of around 500,000 people in the coffee-growing region of Risaralda, was among the hardest hit when the quake struck on Monday. Entire blocks of residential buildings have collapsed, and the local hospital is overwhelmed with the injured. Mayor Carlos Maya told reporters that the city is facing its worst disaster in decades, with many families still waiting for news of missing relatives.

Rescue teams from across Colombia have been deployed to the area, joined by international specialists. Using sniffer dogs, thermal cameras, and heavy lifting equipment, they are racing against time. On Wednesday, they managed to free a woman who had been trapped for 36 hours, a rare moment of hope amid the devastation. The operation, however, remains painstaking and dangerous, with aftershocks continuing to shake the region.

EU response and solidarity

The European Union has moved quickly to offer support. The European Commission announced €2 million in emergency aid, and the EU's Copernicus satellite system has been activated to provide damage assessment maps. This assistance is part of a broader international response, but it also reflects the deepening ties between the EU and Latin America, a relationship that Brussels has been keen to strengthen in recent years.

In a statement, the EU's crisis management commissioner, Janez Lenarčič, expressed condolences and stressed the bloc's readiness to help. “Our thoughts are with the people of Colombia in this tragic moment,” he said. “We are mobilizing all available tools to support the rescue and recovery efforts.”

The aid package comes as Colombia mourns the victims, with the official death toll now at 216 and expected to rise. The quake has also left thousands homeless, and the government has declared a state of emergency in the affected departments. President Gustavo Petro has visited the area, promising swift reconstruction and support for the families of the victims.

Broader implications

The disaster has also drawn attention to the vulnerability of infrastructure in seismic zones across the continent. Pereira, like many cities in the Andes, is built on unstable slopes, and building codes have not always been enforced. Experts are calling for a review of construction standards, not just in Colombia but across Latin America, where rapid urbanization has often outpaced safety regulations.

For Europeans, the tragedy in Colombia resonates with similar experiences in Italy, Greece, and Turkey, where earthquakes have repeatedly tested resilience and preparedness. The EU's response is not just about immediate relief; it also signals a commitment to long-term cooperation in disaster risk reduction, an area where European expertise is highly valued.

As the rescue effort continues, the world watches a city in mourning. The “scene of horror” in Pereira is a stark reminder of nature's unpredictability, but also of the human capacity for solidarity. In the coming days, the focus will shift from rescue to recovery, and the long road to rebuilding will begin.

For now, the priority remains saving lives. Every hour counts, and the rescuers, exhausted but determined, continue their search. The international community, including the EU, stands ready to help Colombia through this ordeal.

More from this story

Next article · Don't miss

Lightning strike on Mount Etna kills American hiker

A 29-year-old American tourist was killed by lightning while hiking on Mount Etna in Sicily. The volcano remains highly active, with lava flows and ash disrupting air traffic. Authorities are investigating the incident.

Read the story →
Lightning strike on Mount Etna kills American hiker