Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are preparing to return to the United Kingdom for an extended stay beginning this autumn, according to reports confirmed by sources close to the couple. The family will not resume their roles as working members of the royal family, but they will take up residence in a private home outside London, maintaining their properties in Montecito, California, and Portugal.
The couple's children, Prince Archie, aged 7, and Princess Lilibet, aged 5, have already been enrolled in schools in the UK and are due to start classes in September, a person familiar with the Sussexes' plans told the Associated Press. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the matter publicly.
The news was first reported by The Daily Telegraph. When asked about the reports at a roundtable event with US veterans in Washington on Wednesday night, Harry replied, "Nothing to say."
A shift towards reconciliation
Harry and Meghan stepped back from royal duties and moved to California more than six years ago, building a media empire through lucrative deals with Netflix and Spotify. Their departure was marked by a series of explosive interviews and Harry's memoir, Spare, in which they criticised palace officials for insensitivity to Meghan's mental health and alleged that at least one royal had expressed racist views during her pregnancy.
Despite the strained relations, Harry has recently expressed a desire to reconcile with his father, King Charles III, who is being treated for an undisclosed form of cancer. The King was informed of the couple's plans on Sunday. Harry and Meghan last visited the UK a month ago.
Buckingham Palace has a policy of not commenting on speculation about non-working members of the royal family. A representative for Harry and Meghan declined to comment.
According to a source close to the couple, Meghan will continue to run her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from the UK, while Harry will devote more time to his UK-based charitable work.
Legal and security battles
The couple's relationship with the royal family has been further complicated by Harry's ongoing legal battles with British tabloid newspapers, which he accuses of illegal phone hacking and invasion of privacy. He has lost a series of lawsuits, including one against the publisher of the Daily Mail, which concluded last month. The court ruled that Harry and other plaintiffs were liable for the publisher's legal costs, which have been documented at £34.5 million (€40.2 million).
Harry is also embroiled in a dispute with the British government over security arrangements. After losing a court battle last year, he said he hoped to rebuild relations with his family. "I would love reconciliation with my family. There's no point in continuing to fight anymore," Harry said. "I don't know how much longer my father has."
The move back to the UK marks a significant shift for the Sussexes, who have largely remained in California since stepping back from royal duties. Their decision to enrol their children in British schools suggests a longer-term commitment to life in the UK, even as they retain their overseas properties.
Observers note that the couple's return could ease tensions within the royal family, though the underlying issues—particularly around security and media scrutiny—remain unresolved. The King's health has been a focal point for reconciliation efforts, and Harry's desire to spend more time with his father appears to be a driving factor.
As the family prepares for this new chapter, the coming months will reveal whether the move signals a genuine thaw in relations or merely a temporary arrangement. For now, the Sussexes are keeping their plans close to the chest, with Harry's terse response in Washington offering little clarity.


