US President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that a draft framework for an agreement with Iran to end the ongoing war has been “largely negotiated” and is now “subject to finalisation”. In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump stated that the final aspects of the deal are being discussed and will be announced “shortly”.
“In addition to many other elements of the agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” the US president wrote, signalling a potential resolution to a conflict that has disrupted global energy markets since late February.
The war began on 28 February with coordinated US and Israeli strikes on Iran, which cut short nuclear negotiations that had been underway in Vienna. Tehran retaliated by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz, a critical chokepoint for oil, natural gas, and fertiliser shipments, causing significant economic strain worldwide.
Regional Mediation and Diplomatic Efforts
Trump said he held a “very good call” with leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, and Bahrain, underscoring the role of Gulf states and other regional actors in pushing for a ceasefire. He also spoke separately with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, describing the conversation as having “gone very well”.
Earlier on Saturday, the Associated Press quoted a regional official with direct knowledge of the Pakistan-led mediation efforts, saying the US and Iran were close to a deal that would include an official declaration of the war’s end. Under the proposed framework, the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened, and the US would lift its blockade of Iranian ports. The official added that negotiations on Iran’s nuclear programme would follow over a two-month period.
Iran’s state-run television quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei as describing the draft as a “framework agreement”. “We want this to include the main issues required for ending the imposed war and other issues of essential importance to us. Then, over a reasonable time span, between 30 to 60 days, details are discussed and ultimately a final agreement is reached,” Baghaei told Iran’s official IRNA news agency.
Baghaei noted that “over the past week, the trend has been toward narrowing differences.” He clarified that nuclear issues are not part of the current negotiations, as Tehran’s priority is ending the war before addressing its nuclear programme. “Our focus at this stage is on ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon,” he said, adding that lifting sanctions on Tehran “has explicitly been included in the text and remains our fixed position.”
Trump had earlier indicated he was holding off on a military strike against Iran because “serious negotiations” were underway, and at the request of Middle Eastern allies. He has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off, a pattern that has frustrated some European diplomats.
The development comes as European capitals watch closely, given the war’s impact on energy prices and regional stability. The reopening of the Strait of Hormuz would ease pressure on global supply chains, a key concern for EU member states reliant on energy imports. The European Union has maintained a cautious stance, urging both sides to return to the 2015 nuclear deal framework, though the Trump administration has shown little interest in reviving that accord.
For now, the focus remains on the Pakistan-mediated talks, which have gained momentum after Pakistan’s army chief held additional meetings in Tehran on Friday and Saturday. The outcome could reshape the geopolitical landscape in the Middle East, with implications for European security and economic interests.


