Politics Business Culture Technology Environment Travel World
Home World Feature
World · Exclusive

US and Iran Near Pakistan-Brokered Framework Deal to End War, Trump Says

US and Iran Near Pakistan-Brokered Framework Deal to End War, Trump Says
World · 2026
Photo · Mikael Nordstrom for European Pulse
By Mikael Nordstrom World & Security May 23, 2026 4 min read

US President Donald Trump has stated that the United States and Iran are “getting a lot closer” to an agreement to end the ongoing war in the Middle East. In a phone interview with CBS on Saturday, Trump warned that failure to reach a deal would result in a military response of unprecedented severity.

Regional officials and a diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that a memorandum of understanding aimed at ending hostilities is within reach. The draft, prepared by Pakistan, sets a 30-to-60-day window for negotiating details, but explicitly excludes nuclear issues. A final decision could come within 48 hours as both sides review the text.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, described the draft as a “framework agreement” on state television. “We want this to include the main issues required for ending the imposed war and other issues of essential importance to us. Then, over a reasonable time span, between 30 to 60 days, details are discussed and ultimately a final agreement is reached,” Baghaei said. He added that the Strait of Hormuz is among the topics under discussion.

Narrowing Differences, but Key Demands Remain

Baghaei noted that positions have moved closer in recent days. “Over the past week, the trend has been toward narrowing differences. We will have to wait and see what happens over the next three or four days.” He stressed that nuclear issues are not part of the current talks, as Tehran first seeks to end the war before addressing its nuclear programme, which has long been a source of international tension. “Our focus at this stage is on ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon,” Baghaei said, adding that lifting sanctions on Tehran “has explicitly been included in the text and remains our fixed position.”

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking in New Delhi, acknowledged progress. “Even as I speak to you now, there is some work being done. There is a chance that whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days we may have something to say,” Rubio told journalists. He reiterated the US stance that Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon and must turn over its highly enriched uranium, and that the Strait of Hormuz must remain open.

Iran has rebuilt its military assets after weeks of war and a fragile ceasefire, according to parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, who spoke after meeting Pakistan’s Field Marshal Asim Munir in Tehran. Qalibaf, who led historic face-to-face talks with the US last month, warned that if Trump resumes attacks, the result would be “more crushing and more bitter” than at the start of the war.

Trump earlier said he was holding off on a military strike because “serious negotiations” were underway, at the request of Middle Eastern allies. The US president has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off. The war began on 28 February with strikes by the US and Israel, abruptly ending earlier talks. Iran responded by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz, a vital route for oil, gas and fertiliser, sending shockwaves through the global economy. The US then imposed a naval blockade on Iranian ports; since 13 April, US Central Command says its forces have turned away more than 100 commercial vessels and disabled four.

During his visit to Tehran, Pakistan’s army chief also met Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, President Masoud Pezeshkian and other senior officials. Islamabad is still trying to organise a second round of direct talks. It was unclear whether he met Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, head of the Revolutionary Guard, who has become a key figure shaping Iran’s hard line in the negotiations.

For European observers, the outcome of these talks carries significant implications. The Strait of Hormuz closure disrupted global energy markets, affecting European importers heavily reliant on Middle Eastern oil and gas. The EU has maintained a cautious stance, urging restraint and supporting diplomatic channels. As the US and Iran edge closer to a deal, European capitals are watching closely, aware that any renewed conflict could again destabilise energy supplies and security in the region. The exclusion of nuclear issues from the current framework also means that the broader non-proliferation concerns of European powers remain unresolved.

More from this story

Next article · Don't miss

Sofia Hosts International Cat Show Expo with 150 Felines from Across Europe

Over 150 cats from across Europe competed in Sofia, Bulgaria, at the International Cat Show Expo. Judges from multiple countries evaluated the felines in a prestigious contest. The event drew cat enthusiasts from the continent.

Read the story →
Sofia Hosts International Cat Show Expo with 150 Felines from Across Europe