Politics Business Culture Technology Environment Travel World
Home Europe Feature
Europe · Exclusive

Vienna woman sues city over gender-biased public toilet fees

Vienna woman sues city over gender-biased public toilet fees
Europe · 2026
Photo · Anna Schroeder for European Pulse
By Anna Schroeder Brussels Bureau Chief Aug 18, 2026 3 min read

A 27-year-old Viennese woman has taken the city of Vienna to court over its public toilet fees, arguing that the current system discriminates against women. Melanie Gradik, an activist, says that while men can use certain public urinals free of charge, women have no equivalent free option and must pay 50 cents to use a toilet stall.

The case, filed against the Vienna municipality, centers on the fee charged for using public toilet facilities in the Austrian capital. Gradik told reporters that the disparity became personal during a visit to the Stadtpark, a popular park in the city center.

“I was in the Vienna city park with a friend and we both had to go to the bathroom. He was allowed to pee for free and I had to pay 50 cents. You know, how can that be?”

Gradik is seeking a ruling that would require the city to offer equal access to sanitation facilities regardless of gender. Her demand is straightforward: either everyone pays the 50-cent fee, or no one does. “I would like everyone to be able to go to the bathroom on equal terms—either we all pay 50 cents or no one pays 50 cents. But it can't be that one gender has to pay and the other gender gets free alternatives,” she said.

A legal challenge with potential ripple effects

Her lawyer, Mag. Petra Laback, argues that the current system provides men with a free alternative that women simply do not have. “Men get free alternatives, but women don't,” Laback said. The lawsuit contends that this violates the principle of gender equality enshrined in Austrian law.

Laback also highlighted the broader implications of the case. “If the verdict is passed in favour of my client, and if it's confirmed in court, it will certainly have a precedent effect,” she said. Other municipalities across Austria—and potentially beyond—could be forced to reconsider their own public toilet pricing structures.

The case touches on a wider European conversation about public infrastructure and gender equity. Across the continent, cities have grappled with how to provide adequate and fair sanitation facilities. While some have introduced gender-neutral or free-to-use toilets, others still charge fees that disproportionately affect women, who often have no alternative to paid stalls.

Vienna, known for its high quality of life and progressive policies, now finds itself at the center of this debate. The outcome of the lawsuit could influence how other Austrian cities, such as Graz or Linz, manage their public conveniences. It may also resonate in neighboring countries where similar fee structures exist.

Legal experts note that the case is not just about 50 cents—it raises fundamental questions about how public services are designed and who bears the cost. If the court rules in Gradik's favor, it could force a rethinking of public toilet provision across the country.

The Vienna municipality has not yet issued a detailed response to the lawsuit. However, city officials have previously defended the fees as necessary to cover maintenance and cleaning costs. Critics argue that such justifications overlook the unequal impact on women.

For Gradik, the lawsuit is about more than personal inconvenience. It is a stand for equal treatment in everyday public life. “This is about basic fairness,” she said. “Public toilets are a necessity, not a luxury. Everyone should have access without being penalized for their gender.”

The case is expected to be heard in the coming months. Should it succeed, it could mark a significant step toward gender-equal public facilities in Austria and set a precedent for other European cities facing similar challenges.

More from this story

Next article · Don't miss

Ukraine's parliament reconvenes with defence and foreign ministries still leaderless

Ukraine's parliament reconvenes on Tuesday with two key wartime portfolios still unfilled. Defence minister Mykhailo Fedorov was dismissed a month ago, and protests continue. President Zelenskyy has yet to nominate permanent replacements.

Read the story →
Ukraine's parliament reconvenes with defence and foreign ministries still leaderless