Politics Business Culture Technology Environment Travel World
Home Politics Feature
Politics · Exclusive

UK Police Open to Investigating Sexual Misconduct Claim Against Prince Andrew

UK Police Open to Investigating Sexual Misconduct Claim Against Prince Andrew
Politics · 2026
Photo · Anna Schroeder for European Pulse
By Anna Schroeder Brussels Bureau Chief May 22, 2026 3 min read

Police in the United Kingdom have stated they are prepared to investigate a new allegation of sexual misconduct against Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the brother of King Charles III. The announcement came on Friday as detectives from Thames Valley Police confirmed they had reached out to the lawyer of a potential victim.

The claim centres on reports that a woman was taken to an address in Windsor, west of London, in 2010 for sexual purposes. Andrew was a resident on the royal family's estate there at the time. The force said it had engaged with the woman's legal representative to assure her that any formal report would be taken seriously and handled with care, sensitivity, and respect for her privacy and anonymity.

Ongoing Investigation into Misconduct in Public Office

Thames Valley Police are already investigating Andrew for alleged misconduct in public office, stemming from his decade-long role as a UK trade envoy between 2001 and 2011. The force is examining whether he shared sensitive information with the late US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who died in prison in 2019. The investigation was prompted by the release of files under the Epstein Files Transparency Act in the United States.

In a statement, the police emphasised that their work is not limited to the misconduct probe. "The assessment of reports that a woman was taken to an address in Windsor in 2010 for sexual purposes is ongoing," they said, urging anyone with relevant information to come forward.

Andrew was arrested in February and questioned for hours at a police station on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He has denied any wrongdoing and has not been charged, but remains under police caution.

Royal Titles Stripped and Residence Changed

In October, King Charles III stripped Andrew of his remaining royal titles amid the growing scandal surrounding his ties to Epstein. The former prince was also ousted from his previous home at Royal Lodge in Windsor and has relocated to the king's private Sandringham estate in eastern Norfolk.

Allegations of potential sexual misconduct at Royal Lodge emerged earlier this year. Lawyer Brad Edwards of the US firm Edwards Henderson told the BBC in January that one woman, who is not British and was in her 20s at the time, was given a tour of Buckingham Palace and tea after allegedly spending the night with Andrew at his Windsor residence in 2010. "We're talking about at least one woman who was sent by Jeffrey Epstein over to Prince Andrew," Edwards was quoted as saying.

The case continues to draw attention across Europe, highlighting the ongoing legal and reputational fallout for the British royal family. The developments also underscore broader European concerns about accountability and transparency in public office, as seen in other recent scandals such as the Paris nursery abuse probe and the EPP's consideration of sanctions against a Slovenian MEP.

More from this story

Next article · Don't miss

Sofia Hosts International Cat Show Expo with 150 Felines from Across Europe

Over 150 cats from across Europe competed in Sofia, Bulgaria, at the International Cat Show Expo. Judges from multiple countries evaluated the felines in a prestigious contest. The event drew cat enthusiasts from the continent.

Read the story →
Sofia Hosts International Cat Show Expo with 150 Felines from Across Europe