Politics Business Culture Technology Environment Travel World
Home Politics Feature
Politics · Exclusive

Spain moves 500 migrant girls from Ceuta to mainland despite regional opposition

Spain moves 500 migrant girls from Ceuta to mainland despite regional opposition
Politics · 2026
Photo · Pierre Lefevre for European Pulse
By Pierre Lefevre Politics Correspondent Aug 19, 2026 4 min read

Spain's central government is moving ahead with plans to relocate 500 unaccompanied migrant girls from the North African enclave of Ceuta to the Iberian mainland, despite resistance from several regional administrations. The move comes after a mass entry of migrants on 30 and 31 July overwhelmed local reception facilities and triggered a political standoff between Madrid and some autonomous communities.

According to Spain's Ministry for Youth and Children, the transfer will be carried out under a royal decree-law that mandates compulsory, solidarity-based reception across all regions, or alternatively through family placement. The ministry said the plan also includes other mechanisms to accelerate the reception of the most vulnerable minors, particularly the girls, who have been grouped in safe spaces in Ceuta following reports of sexual violence.

Regional resistance and legal workarounds

Several autonomous communities, including those governed by the conservative People's Party, have publicly refused to take in minors from the recent surge. The central government, led by Pedro Sánchez's Socialist Party, has criticised this lack of solidarity. To circumvent the deadlock, officials are exploring a route that would allow child-protection organisations to manage the reception and care of the most vulnerable cases in tailored facilities on the mainland, without transferring guardianship to the regional authorities.

Elma Saiz, Minister for Inclusion, Social Security and Migration, told RNE's Las Mañanas that the issue is being addressed jointly with Ceuta's local government and the Department for Children. She declined to provide operational details but stressed the need to "protect the best interests of the child." Saiz emphasised that "these are girls who are on their own," and confirmed that the minors have been placed in secure locations to prevent further incidents of sexual violence, after numerous rapes were reported in recent days and are now under judicial investigation.

The government has allocated €25 million to Ceuta to help manage the crisis. By Tuesday, the National Police had identified and handed over 2,168 minors to the Ceuta authorities.

This is not the first time Ceuta's migrant reception has come under scrutiny. Earlier this year, police unions complained about squalid conditions in local barracks used to hold migrants, highlighting the chronic underfunding of the enclave's facilities.

EU backs returns to Morocco

While Madrid focuses on internal relocation, Brussels is taking a different stance. European Commission spokesperson Markus Lammert said on Tuesday that the priority is for Spanish and Moroccan authorities to keep the situation under control and guarantee the swift return of all those who remain irregularly in Ceuta. Lammert stressed that such returns are covered by EU law, specifically the Return Directive and, in the future, the EU Return Regulation.

The EU's position aligns with Morocco's request last week that Spain return Moroccan citizens still in the enclave. However, human rights organisations have raised concerns about the safety of returning unaccompanied minors, especially given the reported violence they have endured.

The situation in Ceuta remains tense, with EU experts arriving in the enclave amid fears of another surge. Meanwhile, Morocco has blocked a new migrant push near Ceuta following deadly crossing attempts, underscoring the volatility of the region.

The Spanish government's decision to bypass regional objections through a decree-law is likely to face legal challenges, but ministers argue that the protection of minors overrides administrative disputes. As the transfer gets underway, the focus will be on ensuring the safety and well-being of the girls, many of whom have endured traumatic journeys and violence.

For now, the central government is pressing ahead, with the Ministry for Youth and Children confirming that work is underway on the urgent transfer. The coming days will reveal whether the regional resistance holds or whether the decree-law provides the legal cover needed to proceed.

More from this story

Next article · Don't miss

Ukraine's anti-corruption agency targets senior Zelenskyy aide in new probe

Ukraine's National Anti-Corruption Bureau has launched a major operation targeting an alleged criminal organisation linked to senior officials in President Zelenskyy's office. Searches have been conducted at premises connected to Iryna Mudra, a deputy head of

Read the story →
Ukraine's anti-corruption agency targets senior Zelenskyy aide in new probe