Politics Business Culture Technology Environment Travel World
Home World Feature
Breaking · World

Influencer Sonia Bellina's charred remains identified in French vineyard case

Influencer Sonia Bellina's charred remains identified in French vineyard case
World · 2026
Photo · Anna Schroeder for European Pulse
By Anna Schroeder Brussels Bureau Chief Aug 19, 2026 3 min read

Nearly a week after a woman's body was discovered in a vineyard in southern France, prosecutors have confirmed the victim's identity through DNA analysis. The remains, described as partially charred, were found on 12 August near the village of Saint-Gilles, roughly 20 kilometres from Nîmes. The deceased is Sonia Bellina, a 29-year-old social media personality with a substantial following on TikTok.

Bellina, who had more than 250,000 followers on the platform, used her account to post videos of herself dancing, singing karaoke, lip-syncing, and discussing fashion and relationships. She also engaged with her audience through livestreams. Although she lived in Paris, she frequently returned to the Gard department, where she grew up, to visit family.

Arrests and investigation

On Wednesday, the Nîmes public prosecutor, Cécile Gensac, announced that two men had been taken into police custody. In a statement, Gensac said the arrests were made "because of evidence suggesting their direct or indirect involvement in the events." One of the men, already known to authorities for a series of violent offences, is suspected of being the last person to have contact with Bellina on the night she disappeared.

The investigation is ongoing, with police examining phone records and witness testimony to piece together the final hours of Bellina's life. The case has drawn significant attention in France, not least because of the victim's online presence and the circumstances of her death.

Family's account of the night she vanished

In an interview with French newspaper Midi Libre, a woman identifying herself as Bellina's older sister described the night of her disappearance. "She told us at 1 am: 'I'll be back, I'm going to see someone, I'll be back quickly'," the sister recalled. "She didn't take her bag, she didn't take anything, she just walked out. Her phone went off at 2am. We tried to call her. Nothing. Her phone had been switched off."

In a separate video circulating on social media, another sister expressed fear that Bellina had fallen victim to a man she was seeing, adding that the family did not know his identity. The older sister, in her interview, said simply: "She ran into the wrong guy at the wrong time."

The family's lawyer, Mourad Battikh, speaking to Agence France-Presse, condemned what he called the "unspeakable cruelty" of online reactions to videos in which Bellina showcased her appearance. The case has also sparked broader conversations about the safety of young women and the risks associated with meeting strangers, particularly in the context of social media.

As the investigation continues, authorities have urged anyone with information to come forward. The arrests mark a significant step, but many questions remain about the circumstances leading to Bellina's death. The case has resonated across France, where violent crimes against women have prompted national debates and policy discussions.

This incident is not isolated; it echoes other tragedies that have highlighted vulnerabilities in European societies. For instance, the recent deaths in the central Mediterranean underscore the continent's ongoing challenges with security and human rights. Meanwhile, France has been grappling with other issues, such as drone-delivered contraband in prisons, reflecting broader concerns about crime and technology.

The investigation into Bellina's death is being closely watched, not only for the pursuit of justice but also for what it reveals about the darker side of digital fame and personal safety in modern Europe.

More from this story

Next article · Don't miss

Israel launches criminal probes into deaths of Hind Rajab and Gaza medics

Israel's military has opened criminal investigations into the deaths of five-year-old Hind Rajab and 15 Palestinian medics in Gaza. The move follows a review of 150 incidents, but several other high-profile killings remain unaddressed.

Read the story →
Israel launches criminal probes into deaths of Hind Rajab and Gaza medics